Saturday, August 29, 2009

Teaching

I was about ready to give my dog away because no one was willing to just take care of him for a year, then give him back. But literally at the last minute, someone found him a home with the school librarian. Ricardo has a huge yard and a labrador retriever. Tova is so happy running and playing all he wants. He can stay there until January, and then I need to find another home.
Classes started on Wednesday. Since we weren't told exactly what classes we were teaching or what our schedule was until Monday, I'm very far behind in my planning. There are only ten sixth graders, and they're a great group - I really enjoy teaching them, and I had their names down within the first ten minutes of class. There are 20 fifth graders, soon to be 23 because it's normal in Honduras for students to come late. I had a horrible time with them the first day - they were all speaking Spanish (which isn't allowed in English class), and I couldn't keep their attention for more than 30 seconds at a time. But by Thursday I figured out a discipline method for them, and it worked like magic. I've been doing nothing but teaching, planning, eating, and sleeping for 3 days, but I've loved the teaching part.

Please pray for my ability to plan creatively and efficiently. Also that I would be able to breath easily - I've been having trouble taking deep breaths, which happens when I'm dealing with a lot of stress.

I'll leave you with my favorite answers to the questions I asked my students in a survey on the first day. I recorded them with the questions, just as they were written:
3 words to describe myself are... I distract with anything, intelligente and a nice boy.
I need some extra help with... my actitude on class.
The one thing I really want my teachers to know about me is... that I love my teachers.
When I grow up, I want to be... Doctor. because... the doctor they help the people that are sick.
What I like most about school is... learn about the things.
What I like least about school is... They they not have mirrows.
In the classroom I behave... well very good. because... I want a good future.
What I like most about school is... my teachers. And that everyday I learn something new.
When I grow up, I want to be... engineer. because... I love electricity.
The person I most admire is... 1) Funcky, 2) Jesus. because... 1) I love the music. 2) I like to be like he.
In the classroom I behave... participain turn old H/W. because... I like
The one thing I really want my teachers to know about me is... I am consentrate.
My favorite book is... the bible. because... is very good.
Anything else you want to tell your teachers? that don't be berry mad.
The person I most admire is... God, Jesus. because... because how he did all the things of the world, wrote the bible, etc...
In the classroom I behave... not being mad don't being talkin. because... if I don't talk, I can have better my grades and being patient.
I am really good at... Doing homework i like to do homework so much. But not so much like 3 or 4.
The person I most admire is... Jesus. because... he died on the cross for our sins.
I am really good at... language class and science class and I like do letters like this one: K [a block letter], besides I am really good doing that kind of letters
Anything else you want to tell your teachers? Because she is beutiful and she are my favurite teacher.
The person I most admire is... My mother because she work a lot and she is happy in the time that we not have money but she work and work.
Anything else you want to tell your teachers? Your is beutiful
Anything else you want to tell your teachers? that we are a good grade but sometimes we do bad things
My favorite book is... the 3 little pigs. because... the pigs win
What I like most about school is... stay with miss Emily [drawing of a heart]

Christ's love compels us. -2 Corinthians 5:14 (the theme verse I chose for my classroom)

No comments:

Post a Comment