Sunday, October 24, 2010

Giving thanks in all circumstances

Our school has been going through rough times. A high school student was recently kidnapped for a ransom. Thankfully, he was returned to his family unharmed after five days but is still recovering emotionally. Two Mondays ago, one of our English teachers didn't show up to school. The U.S. embassy is on the case, but we still don't know where he is. There have been other things happening as well, but I won't go into the details. Just keep our community in prayer. Our school has been turning to God in the midst of all these trials. The day our student was kidnapped, we had a prayer chain so that prayer was continually being lifted up by one grade or another for an hour. We had a prayer meeting one night for all who wanted to attend, and I was comforted by the trust everyone put in our God to work everything out for good. There was another prayer meeting to give thanks to God after the student was returned.

Many of the school staff are also experiencing serious problems in their families. Profe Edith's husband, Profe Sandra's husband, Doña Ketty's husband, and Profe Sonia's dad are all having major health trouble. Profe Allison's husband has been without work for a while. Please keep them in prayer.

I really have been having a difficult time, and I was so distressed one night this week that I decided I needed to change something. The only thing I could change was my attitude, so I sat down and made a list of all the things I am thankful for. I felt much better, and the next day was the best school day I have had yet this school year.

David, one of my 6th graders, is leaving with his family for Spain as missionaries at the end of this week. He is a very pleasant kid and a natural leader, and we will miss him. Please keep him and his family in prayer. He is the boy standing next to me in the picture below (they are a crazy class):

Last year, I had a bit of an issue with flirting going on between two 5th graders. Now that they're 6th graders, the flame has died down, but I have a new problem. Two other students developed a crush, and recently a love triangle seems to have formed. Oh boy. That's all for now. Please see the new pictures in my online photo album - they tell about the events I didn't write about here.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." ~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment