Saturday, February 20, 2010

Every little thing gonna be alright

I've come to peace with, and even happy about, the realization that Honduras is not my permanent home - that I won't be here more than another year and a half. However, being that I have a one-track mind, that's made it harder for me to be present and keep my thoughts focused on the here and now. That, plus financial issues, problems with students and their parents, and health problems have all brought me down. I was starting to get depressed, but a few days ago, it was like a lightbulb went off in my head, and I realized that "every little thing is gonna be alright." God has been cementing this revelation in my spirit more every day. A lot of problems have been worked out, as well...

My dad called my loan company and straightened things out so that I can defer my loan payments. The sixth grader that had been ruining class for everyone was going to be suspended for eight days. When we had a meeting with his mother, however, she decided to take him out of the school altogether because he continues to show he has no interest in changing. Since then, sixth grade has been so much more enjoyable, and I feel I'm winning the class back. I went to the ear, nose, and throat doctor about my nose bleeds and found out I have a crooked nose (deviated septum), and the medications I've been given should take care of the problem.

Please pray for me to continue to find joy and purpose in each day. Several friends here have been really down, too, so please keep us all in prayer. Keep praying for Silvia, and also for Gladys, a Spanish teacher who recently experienced partial facial paralysis. She has been out of school because she cannot speak well enough to be understood.

Oh, Honduras...cultural notes
-Honduras is full of beggars. At first, I didn't know how to react to them, but sometimes I bought them food or gave them money. I have some friends who have felt convicted by the command in Luke 6:30 to give to everyone who begs from you. They carry juice boxes and snacks whenever they go out and give to every beggar they see. Inspired by their example, I've been stopping to help anyone who begs from me. It's funny that one day, when I was on my way to the doctor's and feeling particularly discouraged, I was approached by two boys asking for money. The opportunity to buy them a snack and drink at the pulperia (convenience store) completely changed my mood and picked me up. Today, I walked downtown with one of these friends that regularly gives out food, and I was amazed to see her not just giving to those who asked, but even seeking the needy out. Since she lives downtown, she's had ample opportunity to distribute food, and she's formed relationships with many people. I was really impressed, and convicted once again.
-Just as it's hard to walk down the street without being approached by a beggar, it's almost impossible to walk down the street without seeing cows or even donkeys grazing on the side of the road. This past week, an angry bull got inside the school gate shortly after dismissal. There were several students still on school property, and the bull nearly mauled them, but they ran fast enough and were able to get away. Thank God the only damage that was done was to everyone's nerves.

Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. -Luke 6:30

No comments:

Post a Comment