Sunday, October 18, 2009

Visas, soccer, and the roller coaster of life

Last weekend, the English teachers all had to leave the country to renew our visas, so we went to Belize. We really preferred not to go...we spent half the time traveling, got behind in our work, and had to spend money on border fees, lodging, food, and ferry (the school paid for our ground transportation). But the part we spent in Belize was pretty amazing. Photos are here.

Soccer is huge in Honduras. EVERYONE follows the games...except for me. When Honduras has won, I know it because people everywhere are cheering, and I can usually hear it from wherever I am. A little while ago, Honduras lost a game against the U.S., but they still weren't out of the running for the World Cup. The other day, Honduras was playing against El Salvador at the same time the U.S. was playing against Costa Rica. In order for Honduras to make it to the World Cup, they had to win their game, and the U.S. had to win against or tie Costa Rica. Honduras won, but the U.S. was down by two for most of their game, and the Honduran commentators were giving updates on both games at once. Then towards the end, the U.S. scored, and finally, in the last 30 seconds, they tied. As soon as they knew the outcomes of both games, some friends went downtown to join the hundreds of Hondurans who were celebrating in the Plaza. There were Hondurans waving U.S. flags and thanking the gringos for allowing Honduras to be in the World Cup. I highly recommend seeing the video one of my friends took here.

In other news, my 5th graders are a wonderful bunch of kids, but I'm still having all sorts of ups and downs with them. And I still don't feel at all respected by my 6th graders. So please pray for wisdom, favor, creativity and help. I'm still bogged down in work, but this weekend gave me a breather, and there's no school on Wednesday. Exam week is a week from Monday, and then the first quarter will be over...that means I have exams to write, subject matter to review, and grades to calculate. With all the stress and all the ups and downs, though, I still wake up most mornings with joy and a feeling of excitement. It's refreshing because most of my life hasn't been that way.

There are a few new photos in my online album.
The ex-president is still holed up in the Brazilian embassy.

Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days. Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us, for as many years as we have seen trouble. May your deeds be shown to your servants, your splendor to their children. May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands. -Psalm 90:14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment