Friday, December 3, 2010

Bittersweet times

I've been praying about and debating a decision for months. A few weeks ago, I finally decided that, due to health reasons, I can't continue to be the teacher my students need me to be for them. I informed my bosses and then the board that I won't be coming back to Honduras after Christmas. This week, I told my coworkers, then my students' parents, and today my students. I know before God that this is what I need to do, but it was so hard to tell my 6th graders. I've been their teacher for the past year and a half, and they have a special place in my heart. I was expecting some tears and some "woohoo"s, but I was surprised. Almost every 6th grader cried, even the boys, and even the ones who always give me a hard time. It was so bittersweet, because after a really tough week of feeling disliked and unappreciated by my students, it was obvious that they really do love me and like having me as their teacher. I'm so grieved to be causing them such sadness, but I know it's the right thing to do. I have a ton of work to do to prepare things for the teacher that will replace me, and it's going to be a rough transition for everyone, so please keep us in your prayers. Thanks.

"By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it." ~1 Corinthians 3:10

No comments:

Post a Comment