Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh, Honduras

Situations that remind me I'm in Honduras...

*I was walking down the street and saw nine people get out of a taxi - one woman and eight children. They were going to church.
*Walking down my street, I saw three people on a bike - a boy about 10 years old, with a little brother sitting on the bar in front and another little brother standing on the spokes in back.
*The cows I pass on the street every day and often hear mooing outside my window.

...and some more sobering ones...

*A few weeks ago, a couple of blocks from my house, two Hondurans were robbed at gunpoint. Two separate occasions, both around 7:00 pm.
*I was walking to my friend Heather's apartment when I saw a boy about ten years old picking up a bag of empty plastic bottles, and I wondered what he could possibly be doing. I couldn't see his face. I walked on and saw a woman doing the same, then heard her say, "Hurry up, Franklin!" I recognized the name as one of my former students at Destino, and I spotted his younger sister nearby, whom I also recognized as Heather's former student. Heather says she's seen them digging through the trash outside her apartment.

This weekend, I went to a place that didn't feel like Honduras at all. It's a house a half hour away built by a retired couple from the U.S. who want to continue helping in a town they used to visit on mission trips. A Honduran coworker is house-sitting for them and invited us over. These are their kitchen and living room:

The mattresses and pillows are memory foam. They have a huge balcony with this view:

It was certainly a nice getaway and a time to de-stress. Another couple of reasons I've been able to breathe easier are that I have a temporary assistant a few afternoons a week - a Canadian volunteer named Sara who will be here for a month of so. Also, starting this week, I will have at least one prep period each day. It used to be that I was on my feet all day every Thursday with breaks only for lunch and recess, which I usually spent running around. I never stop being busy, though, and life in Honduras isn't easy, so I need prayer for contentment and peace. Thanks :-)

"We know, dear brothers and sisters, that God loves you and has chosen you to be his own people." ~1 Thessalonians 1:4 (my students' memory verse last week)

No comments:

Post a Comment